Monday, January 25, 2016

The Janus Coin: Looking Forward to 2016



"Do not think. Become."
- Snow White, The 10th Kingdom

Instead of making resolutions this year, I wanted to "focus" on things. These things would be the main priorities for the year, and if I ever fail to do them, I can refocus without feeling like I ruined everything.

I have a word for the year: Flow. I am happiest when I am in a state of flow, that time of utter focus where time goes away and I am 100% focused on what I am doing. I get there with writing sometimes, or crafting, or stage combat, and it is awesome. I want to incorporate that idea more into my life, and find more opportunities for flow. Its second meaning is something I discovered last year. I can either be completely submerged and wave-tossed by events and emotions, or I can ride them like a dinosaur. Or a wave, which goes better with the metaphor, but dinosaur is more fun. Get above it and surf. Be there, go with it, but don't get pile-drived into the sand.

This idea of flow also goes hand in hand with listening. When I am a state of flow, I listen better to what the moment needs. I intuit. This year, I want to focus on listening more. Listening internally as well as externally. To my needs, my creative impulses, my conscience, my God, as well as to my friends, my students, nature, the world. Being still enough in myself to listen.

All this means getting back to basics. I am also focusing on eating well (healthily, enough and regularly) and getting enough sleep. I cannot accomplish any of the above without those basics. I will also exercise a bit more, keeping my body so that flow can easily happen and I am not blocked by the morass that sedation often brings.

This also means pruning. Cutting back on all the things that are busy and do not matter, and making time for the things that do. I have started a bit of this in my house with the Magic of Tidying up and it is fantastic.

Those are the big things. I did the Unraveling the Year Ahead Workbook, and here are the responses to some of the questions:



In December where do you want to be...

... in your head?

  • Confidant in work
  • A Storyteller
  • Able to read for hours
  • Financially responsible.
  • Closer to my mountain of a balanced writer/ actor/ librarian.
.... in your heart?
  • A true partner with Lee.
  • A scribe for my grandfather's stories.
  • Really talking regularly with Mom and Dad and my friends. 
..... in your soul? 
  • Setting aside quiet time for myself and keeping it sacred.
  • Writing.
  • Praying/ meditating.
  • Listening.
... in your physical world?
  • Strong core.
  • Enough Sleep
  • Simple home containing only things of use and beauty.
  • A robust voice (singing and speaking)
  • Relaxed, but ready muscles.
  • A wardrobe that is ME.



Air

List 3 unhelpful beliefs about yourself you are ready to release.
  1. I am weak.
  2. I am untalented.
  3. My anxiety engulfs me.
List 3 ways you can bring more ease to your week-day routine.
  1. Plan me time each day alone when I am not working on anything.
  2. Schedule a time to work and then let it go when it is done.
  3. Take time to write.
List 3 duties or commitments you feel ready to let go of in 2016.
  1. Extra duties for brownie points.
  2. Being the librarian who is good at everything.
  3. Tasks that do not align with my priorities and values.
List 3 books you want to read this year.
  1. Woman Who Runs with the Wolves
  2. Between the World and Me
  3. Come as You Are.
How could you bring more calm into your life?
  1. Drink more tea.
  2. No screens before bed.
  3. Simplify the house.
  4. Do not fill up all the time I have.



Water

List 3 things about yourself that you positively love
  1. Empathy.
  2. Style.
  3. Imagination
List 3 ways you will be kind to your body this year.
  1. Yoga
  2. Walk like a sea captain (like I have my sea legs, am easily in charge, and know my ship)
  3. Breathe
  4. Sleep
  5. Eat
List 3 ways you will connect with loved ones in 2016.
  1. Really spend time with Lee without the TV.
  2. Call mom and dad once a month.
  3. Have a friend date once a month.
How could you bring more love into your life this year?
  1. Take time for people.
  2. Listen to people's needs and respond to them.
  3. Breathe. Write their story. Forgive.
  4. Take time for God and listen to him. 


Fire

List 3 passions/ hobbies you would like to explore more in 2016.
  1. Archery.
  2. Writing.
  3. Fighting.
List 3 ways you can feed your imagination this year.
  1. Write stories and blog posts regulary.
  2. Keep a thought journal.
  3. Pretend.
List 3 ways you could bring more laughter into your world.
  1. Connect with friends more.
  2. Follow impulses
  3. Retell the story to make fears "Riddikulus!"
List 3 dreams you would like to manifest this year.
  1. Create a writing habit.
  2. Be a competent fighter.
  3. Walk like a sea captain.
How could you bring more creative energy to your life this year?
  1. Yes, and...
  2. "What if" stories.
  3. Not about me. About the story.
  4. Set aside time to play.


Earth

List 3 ways you can cherish your home this year.
  1. Simplify.
  2. Spend more time in it than in the TV.
  3. Fill it with good homey smells.
List 3 ways you can connect more deeply with nature in 2016.
  1. Take more quiet walks.
  2. Find a Godswood.
  3. Stargaze.
List 3 places in your city, town, or neighborhood you want to explore.
  1. Rock Creek Park
  2. Takoma Park
  3. Building Museum
How could you bring a sense of groundedness to your life?
  1. Root Chakras
  2. Excersise core
  3. Deepen relationship with Lee
  4. Center before beginning the day
  5. Mindfulness: "Walk on my feed, Hear with my ears..."
  6. Use anxiety to fuel me, rather than tamp it down.


What does 2016 look like in your ideal world?
  • Simple. Brave.
  • I will have renewed close relationships with my family and friends.
  • Lee will be able to live his dreams and we will be financially responsible,
  • I will write again and come up with many crazy and creative stories.
  • I will record my grandfather's history and the history of our family.
  • I will be a wolf. I will walk like a sea captain. I will embody all that I love about my heroes.
  • I will blow them out of the water with knife and broadsword.
  • I will engender a culture of reading at school.
  • I will take time to read, write, think, and cook and the tv will be a distant memory.



The Wrap-Up

2016 will be the year I finally: break into the stage combat world as a skilled player.

I will nourish myself with: setting time aside to be alone, read, to listen, to write.

I will make more time for: friends and cooking.

I will recharge my batteries by: living fully in my house, not just watching tv, and taking walks in the woods and talking to people about how they are. 

This year, I will open my heart to: adventure, uncertainty, creative flow, mistakes.

I will pay more attention to: being grounded, having my sea legs, truly partnering with Lee.

I will release my attachment to: my own self-importance, my complaining, my self-rightious anger, why "I can't..."

I wish to feel:  like a wolf (fierce and playful), like a sea captain (grounded, confidant and flexible), like part of a centrifugal super team, whole, succulent, and full of gratitude. 

This year I will say "No" to: negative, fear-inducing, victimizing noise.

This year I will say "Yes" to: the right stories. Empathy. Quiet. Simple pleasures. 

My secret wish is to: Find the Flow in All Things.

No comments:

Post a Comment